BSI Constructors is proud and humbled to have celebrated its 40th Anniversary this past December. To commemorate the anniversary, Joe Shaughnessy, Founder and Chairman of BSI, welcomed back former Co-Founder, Lorry Bannes, and the original crew of BSI including: Carl Cooper, Head of Contracting, Sherwood Hughes, Controller, and Bernie Duda, Head of Estimating.
Founded on December 18, 1972, Lorenz T. Bannes and Joseph F. Shaughnessy left their positions at a respected St. Louis general contractor to form Bannes-Shaughnessy, Incorporated. The company grew slowly but steadily, quietly building a reputation for quality and integrity, and for the ability to deliver unique building projects. After a successful sixteen year run at Bannes-Shaughnessy, Bannes sold his stock to Joe Shaughnessy who then became sole owner of the company. To signal the change in the ownership structure, while retaining the same identity, the company was renamed BSI Constructors. Also at about that time, Joe Shaughnessy’s two oldest sons, Paul and Jim, joined the company in March and May, respectively, of 1989. The company is wholly owned by the Shaughnessy Family.
Some key milestones for the company:
- 1972 – Bannes-Shaughnessy, Inc. is founded on December 18.
- 1976 – Awarded first $1 million project for Hazelwood Central Senior High School.
- 1981 – Awarded first $5 million project, the Roosevelt Savings Headquarters in Chesterfield, Mo.
- 1987 – Company completes work on its current corporate headquarters at 6767 Southwest Avenue, which features 30,000 sf of office space and a 10,000 sf warehouse on 3.3 acres in southwest St. Louis.
- 1987 – Awarded first $10 million project, the Washington University Medical Library.
- 1989 – Joe Shaughnessy executes stock repurchase to become sole owner. Company is renamed “BSI Constructors, Inc." Paul & Jim Shaughnessy join the newly r enamed company.
- 1990 – Awarded first $20 million project, McDonnell Hall for Washington University
- 1995 – Awarded its first $35 million project, "E" Building for A.G. Edwards.
- 2000 – Paul Shaughnessy is named President and Chief Operating Officer of BSI, with Joe Shaughnessy remaining Chairman
- 2000 – Awarded its first $150 million project, "F" Building & Learning Center for A.G. Edwards.
- 2007 – BSI celebrates its 35th Anniversary with corporate friends and associates over two nights of open houses at its newly renovated home office.
- 2012 – BSI celebrate its 40th Anniversary inviting back Co-founder Lorry Bannes, and the orginal BSI team including: Carl Cooper, Sherwood Hughes, and Bernie Duda